Friday 9 January 2015

Mama's Measurements

This post is a little different from my regular posts. First off - I've been grossly and viciously ill since just after New Year's and I know I'm totally failing you with outfit posts - I will be back with a vengeance next week - I promise!

In lieu of an outfit post today I wanted to go over something that happened just recently: I received a nasty facebook message.

Let me preface this by pointing out a few things:

1) I am a Mom. A woman. A Canadian. AND a blogger. Yes: I take pictures of myself and put them on the internet and Yes: I realize that that opens me up to a certain amount of scrutiny. I am not a fool. I was prepared for that before I hit post for the very first time.

2) I am not a "fashion expert". There is no where on my blog that you will find me saying that I am such a thing. I am just a plus size, Canadian woman who wears clothes and takes pictures and puts them on the internet. The end.

3) I am not okay with body-shaming. I try my best to dress the body that I have in a way that I think is stylish, comfortable and appropriate. I don't make claims to be a model, to be a designer, to be a stylist, none of those things. I don't like to shame anyone for being big, small, skinny, thick, curvy, flat, boob-a-licious or WHATEVER. Let's stop telling people they're too big to be this or too small to be that or too anything to be anything.
We. Are. People.
We. Are. All. Different.
THAT. IS. AWESOME.

SO - having said those 3 things I was, frankly, shocked when I received this message in my personal facebook "other" folder in the past week.

You dont know me and i dont know you. But I have read you're blog and i am pissed off at you always saying your plus sized or whatever. Your not a plus-size woman your just fatter than you should be but your not like a natural size 24 or whatever. In all your pics you can tell that your just fat and you shouldnt be calling yourself plussize and saying stuff about being "hard to fit". plus size and fat arent the same thing. Nobody cares about you"re stupid cothes blog so stop posting.

Wow.
Yeah.
That happened.

This person - who I am not naming, because what is the point - took the time to figure out who I am, my real name (since you will realize that I don't use my "real" name here on the blog) and then find my facebook and send me a message via fb to tell me that I'm not a plus sized woman (I'm just fat) and no one cares about my outfits anyways. Um... what?

First, apparently, I'm not plus-sized. Well - I am totally baffled, because I have no idea why I own all these size 14, 16 and 18 clothes! I've been wearing the wrong size all along! Also - evidently until I'm a "natural size 24 or whatever" I'm not plus-sized. Someone alert the media! We've been labeling plus clothing all wrong!


Here's the thing, readers: I don't care.

I don't really care whether this person (or anyone) thinks I'm plus-sized or skinny. I don't care. I live in this body. I have to dress it. I know that I carry extra weight on my body and where on said body it is. It's MY body.

FYI - In case anyone's wondering. I DO wear plus-sized clothes. I'm not sure how there's necessarily a difference between being plus-sized and being fat. Does the writer think I'm too fat to be plus-size? Not fat enough? I'm confused. In any case, generally I'm a size 16. And for kicks - here's my measurements just to give some accuracy!

So, even though no one cares about my "stupid cothes blog" (clothes blog? They're probably right; as evidenced by my 2 blogloving subscribers and 0 other actual followers - oh well! lol) I'm just going to keep on keeping on. And if you're reading this, letter writer - click on by - I don't do this for you. I do it for me.

Tea.

2 comments:

  1. You got trolled! Isn't that a measure of success in itself? What a weird thing to take issue with. Ha ha! Anyway, we love you Tea, keep doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love it when people who have absolutely NO IDEA what they're talking about talk anyway? Here's an interesting observation -- the person who took the time to offer their nasty comments obviously did NOT take the time to pick up on correct grammar when they attended school, as follows:

    You dont know me and i dont know you. (SHOULD BE A COMMA SEPARATING THESE TWO THOUGHTS, NOT A PERIOD!) But I have read you're (YOUR blog, not YOU'RE blog.) blog and i am pissed off at you always saying your (YOU'RE plus-sized, not YOUR plus sized) plus sized or whatever. Your (Once again, it's YOU'RE, not YOUR.) not a plus-size woman your just fatter than you should be (insert COMMA here) but your (ONCE AGAIN, it's YOU'RE, not YOUR) not like a natural size 24 or whatever. In all your pics you can tell that your (YOU'RE, not YOUR) just fat and you shouldnt be calling yourself plus (HYPHEN) size and saying stuff about being "hard to fit". (The period goes INSIDE the quotation mark, NOT outside!) (Most sentences start with a CAPITAL letter!) plus size and fat arent the same thing. Nobody cares about you"re (YOUR, not YOU'RE) stupid cothes blog so stop posting.

    Perhaps before you embark on a mean-spirited blogging mission, you should attend a refresher English 101 class? (Just sayin'...because it would seem that YOU'RE not perfect either!)

    I have signed my real name below, not a fake one...so, if you wish to debate my comments further, by all means respond! I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing from you!

    Heather Cameron

    ReplyDelete